Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Thing 15

Library 2.0 is an interesting concept. I think our system has taken many strides in its direction.

The one article I found most appealing and useful was "A temporary place in time..." by
Dr. Wendy Schultz. Her essay spoke to me. It gave me this mental image of libraries evolving into something spectacular that everyone can truly enjoy and use, from scholar to child. I think she's correct on a number of points; making catalogs more accessible to users ala tagging and reviews would be a great way to improve them. I know we usually have a review in the newspaper and in the catalog we have professional reviews and summaries attached to records, but sometimes it would be nice to know what another reader from the area thought of it without having to wait for someone to write about it or ask around. I also can foresee libraries evolving as Dr. Schultz says. I already see some of the allied Web 3Dish behavior in "collecting" blogs, so "collecting" librarians would be a logical next step. As for Library 4.0, why not. As libraries focus more on users and their needs they are going to have to become these mind gyms and knowledge spas.

To me Library 2.0 is not so much a new movement but a label for the melding of new technology with a focus on patron service.

No comments: